Thursday, November 10, 2011

Unconscious Impressionism

To start with these pictures make me very angry they are perfectly focused on the mud splashes on the window. I can't get the damn macro to focus on a flower when I want it to, and why it would think I want to take a picture of the mud on the window is beyond me, the level of irony that puts me into kill mode. All that aside here's what it makes me think about.
Unconscious Impressionism.
Mostly on the bus you are watching out the window as the world goes hauling ass by. Safe. Removed from consequences. Nothing can happen to you there. You inhabit that particular space only for the fleeting moment and time pulls you onwards. If something is ugly it can't hurt you. If something is nice it can't help you. You are already gone. I tried to take pictures through the side windows and this is what I got in California near Los Banos after we left I-5 heading for Salinas. These were cotton fields I think. Or cane sugar. There was both and you can't tell from the photo which brings me to my point. This here is pure impressionism.
Mass of soft color shapes. And the filth from road-rain-dirt caked on the plexiglass.
 Farther on into the Salinas Valley the landscape became more intimate, perspective of fields and groves of trees and crops rendered in the soft mass of color shapes yet it gives you the impression of peace and plenty.
I keep thinking I could get this same composition with oils even though I know eff-all about it. I fully intend to get into it at some point., when I can put some time into it. Think about it  and think and look some more. I think I could get some of this.
But from a bus window hauling ass into the California evening this is all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment