Friday, November 4, 2011

Murder


 Jane's wonderful wise curmudgeon of an old fluffy cat Rosemary took an unprecedented liking to me and nobody knows why. She wouldn't give most people besides Jane the time of day. I was sensible of a great honor.
Rosemary slept with me at the foot of this ancient austere bed in Jane's guestroom. The surprisingly comfortable mattress is a ten inch slab o' foam, the head and foot board look like a puritan version of a Spartan version of the Parthenon. 
Three days after I left Rosemary was brutally murdered by the neighbor's pit bull. Jane was devastated. I felt like I had lost a friend. Fortunately Jane was scheduled to go to Cashiers North Carolina the next day
To her mother's place for a family get-together. Jane's Mom Sally is pretty wise herself, and kind and warm and If I had lost a friend like that I wish I could be sure I would have somebody to comfort me as wise and warm as Sally, posing here at the door to the guestroom of her antique-filled home on a hillside in Cashiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment