Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sometimes... Version 2 ASDGCAD

I think I have attention surplus disorder. ASD, and maybe Getting Carried Away Disorder, GCAD, so I’m ASDGCAD which is more letters that those other guys that can’t stick to one thing and get all the good drugs like Ritalin.
I made myself a flannel nightie. And of course I got carried away in the process but it came out very nice and very much what I wanted it to look like and what I wanted it to be.
It was a simple robe off some hippie website for renaissance clothing until I got ahold of the design; by thetime I was done I was $60 down and I had two trips out to 82nd and Holgate to the Joanns, which, by the way, is the Dollar Tree of fabric stores, only backwards, because it’s all plastic low-rent craft stuff, and nothing is a dollar, but that is a different discussion.
And two trips downtown to Josephine’s Dry Goods Fine Fabrics just to look at stuff which I always do its just so, well, fine in there and the ladies are nice to me, but the red velvet ribbon was at the Button Emporium over by the library, and their store name also says Ribbonry and let me tell you they got the ribbon in there I barely tore myself away and I am damn lucky I have Fiscal Discipline or I would be in Credit Card Hell by now that ribbon collection is a Jaw Dropper and an All Day Sucker. But enough gratuitous capital letters.
Not to mention I don’t use a machine and I do all french seam to protect the backside from unravelling which means that every seam is sewn twice, and the lace, and the hems, and the ribbons, and it took me a month to handstitch it. 
It made me glad I have this tailors dummy standing around with a rotating hemming bracket on the bottom for marking the hem height which with the ruffle makes it exactly floor length and nice and even all around. That dummy was a $180 whim a couple years ago and now I finally used it. From, guess where, Joanns. Irony abounding.
 Drawback is that my beautiful new Peppermint Pink Nightie weighs about half a hundredweight, what 7 yards of heavy flannel weighs, and the gathers make it 4 or 5 layers deep around the upper half and it like trying to get  a # 16 flannel spinnaker into the bed at night and hot as the dickens so I now turn the baseboards to the fully OFF position at night but I do feel cozy and well loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment