Monday, January 23, 2012

Shit I Bought/Made/Invented for my boat

VHF radio
depth sounder
LCD TV
electric bilge pump auto switch
elect fresh water pump hand backup
new wiring scheme, wire, distribution panels, fuseboards
plow CQR anchor 25#
Danforth type storm anchor 35#
A full spool of rope from the factory is a pantload of rope so I cut it up like crab fishermen do into shots of 10 and 20 fathoms and the chain into 5 and 10 fm shots a fathom is 6 feet just so you know I was going to sell some of it but I never did I'm kind of into hoarding boat gear it isnt really a problem its useful stuff but it does add up
400 ft nylon 9/16 bonded anchorline made off in modules of 10 & 20 fathoms
150 ft 1/4 proof galv chain made off in 5 & 10 fathom modules

Dinghy 8 ft wooden w/ builtin flotation and stern roller
Oars 6 ft spruce traditional style w bronze oarlocks and chocks and traditional manila fenders
There's glassed in flotation under that back seat now, and a foam roller where you can get back in the dinghy when you are swimming but this is a pretty good picture of the setup with the spruce oars and the traditonal rope fenders I made from old stuff Ross and Louis gave me off their big old yawl.
3lb folding grapnel dinghy anchor
10 amp generator hookup charging system
Raymarine tiller autopilot
survival suit full gumby
Floats/fenderballs 2
Whiskerpole telescoping boathook
2 spinnakers small and huge
canvas sunshade awning
Chapman's Piloting, Small Boat Handling, & Seamanship
Knight's Modern Seamanship
Pacific Coast Pilot #11
Columbia River Cruising guide
oversize bookshelves
Charts from Tatoosh to Vancouver
Samson Post /billboard lignum vitae
Fuel tank covers purpleheart grating
If you squinch your head to the right you can see this is the tiller handle posing in front of the ladder before the coachwhipping and the turk's head knotwork got all dirty with handle schmutz after 2 summers in my hands
Traditional coachwhipping/turksheads on the tiller handle
18v tools drill circular sawsall spotlight
red nightlight
Ryobi palm sander
Ryobi 4 " angle grinder
Ryobi 3/8 drill motor
3"slick, fine chisels
ships auger bits
Volt Ohm Milliammeter
socket set
palm and needles/wax twine
French Sinnet traditional harbor gaskets
Stainless Steel Barbecue grill propane mounted on the railing in the stern 
Bulletwood Companionway Cover


Every one of the things on this list is a separate story and an evolution of tradition and engineering and a personal journey of design and creation. And a project brought to fruition mostly by myself out of books and conversation with all my pals at the marina particularly Fred Vosun a kind of a marine genius type guy that knows his shit about boats and motors. He's always around the docks where I tie up at McCuddys out in Scappoose. It breaks my heart to be leaving that milieu but I got a bad feeling that something particularly shitty is going to happen to me or Felicity Jane if I try to go another season.
I can't take that I got to quit while I am ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment