Friday, January 20, 2012

Package in the mail today from Hefferdust Music and oh lord I opened it up


 Lindstrom changed my life today, and I think it was probably high time. Got the goosebumps this morning, now there’s tears all down my face. Feel like I connected with the old days and I can finally face today. Is that just corny lyrics or what? Let me go wash my face and calm down and I will tell you.
And that’s the shit I thought I would never feel, an old time connection with heart and soul and Lloyd's of Bandon and this guy that plays guitar like English is his second language, the absolutely most fluid natural guitar player I ever heard, maybe Keith Richards in second place by a hair, for just plain understanding the language and sayin' things without the mediation of the verbal reflective level of mind anyplace in sight.
That’s another issue too, once you learn the language what is it exactly that you got to say? Where I fall down, sure I can write, but I’m an essentially shallow thinker, and shallow thinking well expressed is what they mean when they say better to keep the mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
But this here Bobby Lindstrom he’s got shit to say that somebody has to say and nobody says in such a way that means it so completely and so easily. And I don’t even really think he knows he’s doin' it. I really don’t.
I’m listening to the CD of a performance he did at Lloyd's down in Bandon Oregon in October of 2001. I can’t stand it that I wasn’t there. 
Now it’s the last number one of Bobby’s anthems that I remember from back in the day Station Man a rocker with Peter Green implications from Fleetwood Mac which is the tune that made them an important part of my life even before Stevie Nicks came along and changed the deal.
They got Mike Correil on the drums a workman and good beat and great frame for the guitar.. Bill Jansen has been the bass backup for Bobby since the last ice age, and there’s a horn player Paul Biondi. Bobby does this number like a voyage to Pitcairns Island, just a starting out and the strong theme and the feeling of discovery and mystery and tragedy and danger and sublime beauty and the bond of human experience and this horn player getting all tropical and emotional there in the back and dammit I do love an extended musical improvisation on a theme. So now we’re down to the end 12 minutes went fast and Bobby is shouting through his hands and there’s nobody that can and will do this shit anymore. When he comes through that guitar line and the theme comes around, I believe they call it the 5 and back to the chorus it swings right into the back of my knees and into that rhythm jump/swing there’s one measure of ¾ time in there and it makes me glad to be alive.
I don’t listen to music in my daily life, to entertain myself like everybody does these days. I find the practice infantile. And this CD is a big part of the reason why. It means too much, it says too much, and when its playing I want to get down and live the groove and listen like its savin’ my life.
Which it is. 
Thanks Bobby, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment