Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Syncretism

Three year-ends ago Jane Coffee and I took a trip to the South Coast where she showed me her camera theories and I took this meta-photograph of her photographing the moss-draped pine trees in Bullard’s Beach State Park. We were cold but the day was crystal clear that morning and the early light made everything look magical and new.
Two weeks ago I was in that area with my big brother Bob and his family. We took a side trip to Bullards after viewing the new Bandon Marsh restoration project. We were unwinding after a sad morning at Grampy’s burial service.
I took the opportunity to harvest some Spanish Moss. Not very much of it, but enough, it turns out, to make a voodoo doll.                                                                                                    Say what??

Last October when I told my friend Vera who is a sort of a wiccan type person spiritually nontraditional that I would visit New Orleans on my bus trip she got all excited that I would be down there where all those sideline practices of voodoo and hoodoo and other transplanted and swamp type religiosities are still practiced but me, I couldn’t have cared less.
My ex, Isheim, drove me around the Vieux Carre winding up at madam somebody or others voodoo emporium, but even I could see the voodoo dolls they sold were fakes made in Taiwan so I didn’t get one for Vera like I had planned. But I did start to wonder what was the deal so I have been reading up on it there’s tons of stuff on the internets and exhaustive material on Wikipedia. I found and bookmarked a site that gives step by step directions, and another site that changed my mind about this shit. It woke me up.
http://howtodovoodoo.com/how-to-make-voodoo-dolls/

This is the work in progress. I took my time letting the moss dry out and finding the skeleton sticks and meditating on my purposes and motivations and intentions. You have to be careful with this shit turns out it’s no joke. Throw out a bad intention and get nailed in the ass tenfold and I have seen that happen, not specifically with voodoo dolls but with other shit over my long and dangerous life.
Light blue is the color of family, and white is the color of healing.There's other color that I'm not so sure about but it feels right and it feels safe.. I need to do some healing and I want this thing to express my intentions and to gather the spiritual world to help out...
I have sort of an altar type place where I have some things that give me crucial vibes I won’t get into the details and it wasn’t intentional but I had this stuff I feel connected and tender about and then I scored a nice stand of shelf s out of the dumpster at the marina and these things migrated there so I’m putting my ingredients  on it to marinate the vibe.
And believe me, the vibe is there. As soon as the moss started to go around the cruciform it started feeling way bigger than me, and it was no longer a goof. To be honest it is scaring me more than a little but I think I'm OK so far. I will let you know what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment