Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mileage

I'm on Google Earth adding shit up, and I got some totals roughly speaking. The first leg, from Portland to Hartford to Cashiers to Key Largo calculated with the little yardstick thingie and not getting too detailed about all the little twists and turns the highway takes was 4657 miles. Then to go from Key Largo back up to Orlando and then over to Pensacola and around the gulf shore to New Orleans, then Houston, El Paso, Phoenix and LA where I turned finally North with a side trip to San Freesco back home to Portland was another 3720 miles.
I have a lifelong tendency to run a good thing into the ground, which is an unnecessary trip to Prince Rupert via Prince George, BC, 1089 miles up and 1153 miles back because we went through Kamloops rather than down the Frazier Gorge, for a grand total of 10,619 miles.
Like I said before I am glad to be home. Portland makes perfect sense. Of all the places it is the most humane of cities. Setting, culture, costs, weather all that shit point right to our fair little stumptown city of bridges, and fuck a bunch of coffee companies co-opting a traditional and not always complementary nickname. I used to be a little ashamed of living here, like in the 60's when San Francisco was the flower power place to get your freak on, or Manhatten in the go-go 80's and the moneypower vibe, or LA for the outsider art and the art cars in the 90's but I feel different about it now. This here's home.
$549 per ticket divided by 10616 miles gives $0.051699783407100480271211978529052 per mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment