Thursday, October 20, 2011

Back in the saddle again



Well not really, but I am sitting on the bus depot floor plugged in and T-mobile 3g wifi hooked up waiting for the 10:40 bus to Points North. Feels like home.
The lady at the ticket counter threw me a bit of a curve ball when I got up to the head of the line. She expressed some skepticism about the Discovery Pass being international, she thought it only was good for US but she said I should just get on the bus for Vancouver BC, do the paperwork for the border crossing and kind of go with a “fait accompli” type approach. Which I fully intend to do.
Plugged in, a quick but careful review of the website didn’t say any such thing, about one or the other, it says both with no distinction, North America included as the term they use.
I am fully capable of reading shit into the actual text that isn’t there, case in point the brouhaha about wifi on the buses, particularly the scam I fell for in Salt Lake City about the wifi I thought would then be available in all greyhound stations and was really only in that one and the snippy letter from their customer service guy to show for my $12.95
After having said all that I still think I am good to go.
I did refine my list of shit to bring with, for instance food, more pineapple in the pemmican, which it turns out is an excellent satisfying food to extinguish the hongries, and I put together some beef and rice and red beans burritos, three of them, and some apples and some tangerines. And its only for 36 hours up, one night and a day, and   48 back, longer because of a ridiculous 9 hour layover in Vancouver BC. The bus from Pr Geo gets in after the last Seattle bus has gone so you wait all night and get the first one in the morning. I brought a blanket, my little down comforter I swiped off the Eva Air flight back from Bangkok.Which is going to offend the chick at the Pioneer Hostel in PR where I am booked, "NO Blankets" bedbug phobia, a good thing, but I'm not about to go au naturel 9 hours worth on the bus station floor, no pillow will be bad enough, but goddammit, I'm bringing the blankie!
It is freezing at night in Prince George, but Prince Rupert over on the coast is just about same-same with Portland right now, but raining more, Stearns rain suit, Danner Gore-Tex boots, and a folding umbrella, lots of heavy socks and my old Jos A Banks tweed slacks, hounds-tooth heather. Should be good to go.
I also brought a bag of snickers Halloween candy bar mini. And I’m hungry right now.
PS (written Fri Night) I so did not bring the effing snickers minis I looked and looked and no I did not I remember putting them on a different shelf in my fridge than the pemmican and suff it goes to show there's always something..o.f course I obsessed about them all night but when I finally got to a supermarket in
Smithers I got Granola bars instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment