Friday, July 20, 2012

Tight and Right

I had to keep moving both days I didn't hardly even sit down at all, but the thing is taken care of and it looks tight and right.
One of the few pleasant surprises in my entire life was the performance of that big-ass belt sander from the Devil Store a 10 amp monstrosity that weighs fifteen pounds and if you aren't careful it would take your leg off no problem. I belted up with an 80 grit aloxite and she took that old green enamel down like buttah, and all those failed spots on the bottom where the paintsick old bottom paint was cracking and chipping, where I heat-stripped the patches all smoothed right out and in 15 minutes I had her sanded ready for paint. I had figured a day, a full day. Wow.
Then I had a day with Interlux Brown30 seaming compound, amazing stuff, stinky and viscous stiff like taffy made from ground bone and dead rattlesnakes, so all that went in the seams and tough enough it would appear. Just for fun I mixed up a couple spoons of pure red lead pigment powder into the compound just for old times sake which turned the brown goo a kind of raw orange red just like the old days I remember from the Charleston shipyard called in those days Hansen's Landing.
And Pine Tar is another stiff syrupy blackish green or greenish black like jelly made with pine tree pitch anyway I mixed that up with a little boiled linseed oil and some turpentine and gave the whole insides a good sloshing stinky as hell and probably ruin any trousers that come in contact with it but hey they will at least be waterproof. This stuff is why old-time sailormen got the nickname Jack Tar.
I was mistaken about one thing, there is plenty of copper in that  bottom paint, actual flakes of the metal, heavy in the hand, not salts of metal like they used at one time to retard the growth of marine organisms,  but actual metalflake shiny metal. I mixed in a little Brick Red  Miller's porch paint and got a full coat on the bottom, two coats, actually, and now she's gonna harden up for a few days before we launch her next week.
No more cracks visible, at least from outside. I still want to run a bead of black jack roofing tar down the seams inside to cover the cotton you could see peeking through the seams before I ran the pine tar in there to waterproof and prime the seams for the blackjack.
She looks tight and right, and she might not leak very much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment