Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lunch

I was sitting in Peet's downtown drinking a caramel late thinking about lunch.
I wanted a corned beef sandwich on rye bread with maybe a dill pickle and a side of cole slaw.
Portland is the lunch capital of the world.
But not that.
I looked at dozens of food carts.
Every exotic ethnicity from all over the globe and not that.
Elephants Deli, the "flying" branch in the Fox Tower. No Dice.
Elephant's in the park. Nope.
I rode the 15 bus up to 23rd, walking back to the big Elephant's on 22 by the good will. I talked to the sandwich guy, who said they made a pastrami on rye. Did not offer to make what I wanted, or even, for that matter, to give a shit. Fuck him and his yuppie shithole. What the fuck, is there a thing I don't know about? Why is it that this massive deli won't make you a sandwich. It's like a big, elaborate 7-11...
Kell's brewpub just opened on 21st, they had a Reuben, close,  but no cole slaw. I picked up a menu for later.
I, as a last resort, finally went into the Fred Meyer's where I do all my shopping to the deli, which can be a bum trip if it is busy with indifferent staff and geeky customers and dried out food in the case. Besides, by the time you get a quarter pound of corned beef, and a Deli pickle, and a loaf of rye bread you are down 12 bucks and stuck with repeats until you are sick of it. I don't eat bread any more, not for a couple months because of the medicine, and I don't want it stuffing up my refrigerator while it goes moldy like the last 2 loaves I got out of habit and never ate.
But sometimes life, karma, I suppose, will surprise you
I was instantly waited on by a very nice and helpful lady who gladly sliced me off 4-5 slices of nice moist corned beef with a free sample slice on the side and then found me a half a half pint of slaw and then, in a crowning moment, 2 slices only of beautiful swirl marbled rye bread. I just was asking because I didn't really think they would do that for a customer, but she grinned and put it together and I got out of there for 3.73.
I have a bit of sauerkraut left in a jar. For some reason I have been craving it lately, maybe it is the salt.
I am happy, and surprised, and pleased, and amazed again about how stuff happens.
Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment