Monday, February 4, 2013

RMA

It's not like I'm bored. Or that I ran out of things to do.
My apartment is in a complete uproar these past few days.
Last Thursday the parts I ordered started arriving one after another through Saturday when the last one arrived, my copy of Windows 7 from PC Outlet.
Friday morning I finished adding the rest of the countertop to the island, strips of red cedar, a very nice S-3-S tight knot from Parr's up the street here, picked out of the pile because of the rich color fade from red through pencil brown to gold from the sapwood which is often nearly white. I guess it darkens as it ages  and the fresh layers wrap the older ones deeper and deeper into the tree-trunk as the years go by.

10 lbs of hemp cord that I have yet to touch on the floor there behind the island, and the printer I bought back in September is right behind that still in its box. A little olive oil on the cedar  brought out the color. I really like how it came out. Not quite done yet, though. Later.
I have avoided, so far, stacking computer parts on the island, partly because  I like to admire it whenever it catches my eye. Sometimes the things I make come out with a degree of serendipitous beauty that amazes me.
Well, sometimes. Sometimes they don't come out at all. Case in point:
I can't say the same for my work table, and it is much much worse now. All the packaging had to go someplace, although I got the styrofoam peanuts out of here right away. Keeping most of the boxes for now. Good thing, too
Sunday afternoon I started unboxing and putting shit together. Ran into a bit of a snag later on. Something seems to be defective eventually narrowed down to the motherboard as the culprit. This is why you don't throw away the packaging until its all kosher. Amazon were very nice today about sending me a new one, as was Newegg about the PSU I sent back to them Amazon paid the postage for the RMA (Returned Merchandise Authorization) Newegg did not, however they sent me a newegg beanie for my troubles.
This is what a a nonfunctioning externally built computer looks like.The pretty blue dealiebobbers are the cooling fans in the graphics processor. I took it all apart today. I remain optimistic. This shit is n ot magic. Delicate, but entirely rational. Complicated, too.

So I'm back to working on the sail this evening.
I have approximately a gajillion more grommets to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment