Friday, February 8, 2013

Fresh Pies Up In Here UPDATED

We got busy yesterday morning and made up a batch of crinkle pie dough.My big brother whom I don't see often enough was due around 11 for our planned excursion to see Argo at the Living Room Theater in the afternoon and I was still up to my elbows in flour when he arrived exactly on to the minute on time.
But the work was nearly done and the dough came together fine with just a touch more ice water. I gathered it all up and made two balls to stash in the fridge and mellow out overnight.
When I got home I went back to work on the filling. I did pretty much what I said last time, stewing the apples a little bit, saving the juice, and cooking the thickening flour for a half hour on low in butter. And should note that I do all 4 spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, alspice and cloves. How much of each is none of your business.
I carved my name in the smaller one, and my initials into the big one in case they get lost nobody will eat them behind my back.
I tried to roll out the dough a little thinner. As a result there was enough left over to barely but sufficiently build a second smaller unit. I had to drop back and make more filling but I did have enough apples on hand. There was even a bit of dough left over so I opened up a pint of cherries to fill up a little turnover hand pie type deal. It disappeared immediately.
Tasters report to follow.
EDIT: Tasters Report... Crust :flake is good, more delicate than last pie,9+... filling still good zero slump could be sweeter and a bit more spice8+...appearance/glaze 8.,.,. all-in-all good enough to take some effort to perfect the appearance with a nice glass pan or two, keep it up with the glaze, add 1/4 cup more brown sugar, 3/8 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 each of nutmeg, cloves and allspice...and cut the edge 1" wider from the pan and fold it under before crimping..

No comments:

Post a Comment