Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pie #3: On The Map


Very happy tonight the eating test score was higher than I had expected. First, the bottom crust got done just right, a bit crunchy no scorch no sog. The filling kept shape perfectly, as Uncle John would say, zero filling slump. Juicier than last time, better "pie" flavor with the cinnamon and nutmeg just about right. Almost sweet enough, could use maybe a bit more, but real good texture, the apple done thoroughly no crunch no moosh. And that crust continues to be amazing, great tooth "dente", good crust flavor, and still crumbles in almost flakes. I think I might invest in a better pan just for presentation, and if I were to rotate at halfway it might brown more evenly, but I'm not going to change the temp or the time. 

If they get any better I'm going to have to get a real pie pan. This crust technique is the shizz.
I have to think about the filling a little more the way to parboil the apples is a reaction to the very first one last year that was still crunchy the apples didn't cook at all very bad.
And I felt bad. 
So now I cut up 8 apples and put them in a saucepan and turned it on med-low and let them get real hot-steaming so the ones on the bottom were rather stewed. Problem is that the juice comes out of the chunk and collects in the pan, with the flavor and fruit sugar sweetness, so this time I added it back before the top crust went back on, along with the spices and the thickening flour/sugar, you'rE supposed to toss the filling but it was too tender and then the weight of the dough overflowed the juice which went all over hell and gonE (good excuse to mop the darn kitchen)
Last time I poured off the juice but the pie came out with great texture but dry and sort of flavorless.  So adding the liquid back worked well just have to adjust the method a bit.
So it gets a score of 8 on the crust, a 9 on texture, and a 7 on filling. I think I can get it up to all 9s and THEN think about egg-wash glazing.
By freezing the butter it doesn't penetrate the flour, so when it bakes the little butter pockets interrupt the texture of the dough and the little layers of interrupted dough form actual flakes which is the ne plus ultra of piecrust
  The secret technical wrinkle to this is to freeze the butter overnight, and then after the shortening is peasized with a fork, grate the butter in with my cheese grater. Then I put it back in the freezer for a minute with a few oz ice water, and then bring it all out and mix it with a fork until it clumps and then make 2 dough balls and refrigerate for 24 hrs. They say only an hour will do it but I'm an addict. If one is good 24 is better!
Plus I used better flour this time, 1/4 cake flour, 3/4 regular white flour.
I tried to figure out hows to make pies years ago and the crust was just soggy cement but this stuff is the real thing.
The way I was brought up your worth as a woman was determined by your apple pie and your fried chicken.I never thought I was capable of cooking something like real people do. 
My fried chicken comes and goes.  I have to work on the "rub"
But this here apple pie is gonna put me on the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment