Sunday, January 27, 2013

Amaryllis





Mom (through one of her many minions) sent me an amaryllis at Christmas. I have not had a houseplant in many many years.
A plant in the window in the winter is not that easy to photograph. I did this one before I thought about that.

I was sceptical at first, but I did what I always do and I overwatered the s**t out of it right away. Recovering my poise, I put it by the wondow and left it alone. Then it began to grow like a mad bastard.
The old shoots even started to grow. I finally figured out that I was drowning the poor thing, so I stopped the watering and I removed the moss mulch to let the soil breathe a little.

It kept growing and then a second shoot sprang forth.

A bud appeared and then another and another in a triple head on the first tall shoot.

I got really excited and I took dozens of pictures. Now and then there was a good one although I still can't tell you what is so much better about that one and not the others. But there's a big difference.

This Amaryllis is a spectacular flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment