Sunday, November 4, 2012

Treatment



Mixture for rope treatment



In a 4 qt copper-bottom saucepan floating in a big pan of water on medium heat.
Commode wax 47 grams
50 cc kerosene
50 cc turpentine
30 cc pine tar mixture.
10 minutes warm to touch, wax beginning to dissolve
20 minutes quite hot wax dissolved with vigorous stirring
heat off
I dipped the 6 strand round sinnet halyard/laceline which absorbed readily the hot mixture. I squeezed the rope through my gloved fingers, draining the excess back into the pan.

I likewise dipped the snotter and mangled off the excess.

The last thing was the twin fox nettles on the big pully block.

There was approx 30-50 cc of mixture remaining, which I put back into the small pine-tar can.
I put the treated lines in a cardboard tray and set it on the toilet with the exhaust fan left running. Cleanup was with paper towels which I put out in the dumpster.
I put the canvas rags in a double ziploc in with the rest of the stinky stuff to offgas the volatiles.


This stuff had stink like a tar-baby, eye-watering pine smell, like that time at computer school where the substitute had a germ phobia and scrubbed all the keyboards with pine-sol. I shut the batrroom door and ran the exhaust fan all day while I was out.
Then I broke out that wax commode ring, what was left of it anyway.
See the way I did the braided ropes by separating the yarns it made all the fibers stick out from the rope all fuzzy, and dipping it in the pine-tar solution did not help. All the pine tar went into the body of the braid nice and dark but the fuzz was still there. So I gooped up some of the ring-wax, which is soft and sticky, and smeared the wax into that fuzzy looking sinnet and guess what it worked just fine and lathered the fuzz down just right and it made it look like some kind of industrial leather substitute. I was a bit worried that it would rub off on my hands and clothes and stuff but it is just fine. 
I hereby declare this process a success.
Then last night I had a dream that I was in Donald Trump's apartment and he had let loose a gorilla to get me, a big old silverback, and I was scared as shit, but just then this big kangaroo got the gorilla from behind in a headlock, a rear naked choke, and the gorilla passed right out, collapsed out cold or dead even maybe, I didn't stick around to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment