Saturday, September 22, 2012

Out Of Sight, Out of my MInd

Oh it was such hard work. We were like little beavers with a fresh adderall prescription. And we almost didn't get there, but in the end through simple unimaginative persistant stubbornness we did.
Bob brought just enough old lumber from his backyard, and very nice tools, just the right ones, to make a couple of long low saw horse type risers to rest the dory upon for its winters nap.
My old pal Brennan Enos from back in the day taught me a little trick to making sawhorses and a very informal design that I have used countless times over the years. I like to think that SW Oregon is the richer for all the sets of these sawhorses I have made in 25 years building stuff. And, best of all, though I had not done the trick in 12 years or more it all came right back and even the 16d hot dipped galvanized nails slammed right home with that cute and comfy wood handled hammer because I knew to pre-drill in that old brittle hard fir 2x4 and Bob knew to bring his nice new portable drill motor and the mass selection of bits. And my right hand, apparently, has not lost its cunning.
What does not show is that I was totally exhausted by the process of making these little horses. I had to keep going because there was a long way to go. Meanwhile Bob unloaded the dory and got it ready to move to phase II
I made a tripod out of 3 oars, and hung a 4-part block and tackle setup, which was just barely enough to get the dory far enough off the ground to get my little bicycle dolly underneath, but in the end we did get it under and strapped the thing down and hand-carried the dory by easy stages up to the parking lot, when Bob had a brilliant idea...
We are very proud of ourselves, this is Jean the operator of the marina, the big cheese, the head honcho, the Boss of the Dock, and a nicer person never walked a dock. And helpful too.
So Bob goes, "Hey Heidi Sue check if the bow will fit under the trunk lid and we can roll it with the Golf"
And guess what it did fit and slowly Bob rolled us over to the hose to wash out all the sand out of the Dory and all its cracks and crevices and there was quite a bit of it, too, and I was glad to see it washing over the gunnels. We just slid the whole bow right in there and tied up a little rope to keep it more or less in its place and then finally the three of us, very slowly, rolled over to the newly graveled and graded storage yard right next door.
That little red float house down there on the river is where Jean the Honcho lives. She put us up here in the back of the yard where she can keep an eye on my stuff. Without being asked...Nice Lady!
Turns out the height of the risers is perfect so that I will be able to work on the caulking and paint next spring. I brought most of the gear home with me, but I intend to have Home Depot deliver me a little lockable locker type shed/job-box type thing at some point so I don't have to drag stuff back and forth. I was at the end of all available energy by then so the placement of my massive 8x20 canvas tarp will wait for another day. We did good work, we got shit done, and we looked really good doing it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment