Monday, February 6, 2012

Freezing-ass motels

It was a nice enough place, right handy by the upstream Ashland exit, surprisingly quiet, clean enough and certainly not expensive, but does an adequate number of blankets come under the unaffordable luxury category? There was at least a heater in the room. but it sounded like a  F-101 Phantom on afterburner. Would it cost that much for a fake-feather duvet or even a couple of K-Mart fleece jobs?
They got the microwave in there and it worked, and the cable TV with the expanded basic lineup, and the WiFi  had 2 different nodes to hook up to, and the shower had beaucoup hot water and there were 3 towels and fresh ones every day but why in the dead of winter would you think that one fucking blanket would keep a person from freezing to death?
Fortunately my big brother Bob is a semper-prepare-us kind of guy and he had a couple of little stadium blankets in the car which I got one of and damn glad too. And I brought my bedrock from Portland  a little river rock about the size of a starbucks blueberry muffin. When I put it in the microwave to heat it up Bob hid behind the door but nothing happened except  2 minutes later it was reasonably warm to the touch which it stayed that way all night down by my frozen feet wrapped in a towel and worth the 3 lbs in my overnight bag. I got the idea from Bear Grylls the survivor guy on Discovery.
My one at home here is bigger and heavier a slab of granite from a broken countertop and it gets hot and stays hot way longer than a hot water bottle like all night toasty I use it all winter long.
Continental Breakfast? What the fuck is that? People on the continent don't like food? All kidding aside it wasn't bad, but the lack of imagination and taste seems to be universal in the hospitality trade under a certain level of sophistication.  I dont really care I dont eat breakfast anyway, but I do sleep at night, at least nowadays I would like to if I'm not too fucking cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment